Thursday, April 19, 2012

Depression Is A Disease

It took me a long time to view depression as a disease.  I blamed myself for not being positive enough or able to "get it together."  This view was shared by a lot of my friends, who seemed truly baffled when I would cancel plans, swearing that I simply could not get dressed and out of the apartment.  And, for me, there was  lot of shame in coming clean to people that I was not feeling 100%.  I didn't know how to convey what I was experiencing.  I still think it is almost impossible to make someone understand who has never been truly, uncontrollably depressed. 

I remember one Friday night, I had promised to meet up with several friends at a party.  I had that feeling in my chest where it seems your lungs are being flattened by an anvil, and each breath is like inhaling acid.  The thought of facing a noisy bar and acting chipper and upbeat--let alone the battle to put on something appropriate to wear and lipstick--left me completely debilitated.  I. Could. Not. Do. It.  I called to tell my friend, and she was angry with me.  Even though there would be other people there, even though I wasn't leaving her abandoned on a Friday night with no plans, she was offended that I was cancelling last minute.  I started to cry.  I sobbed on the phone, "Do you think I want to feel this way?  Don't you think I want to be out having fun on a Friday night?"  She proceeded to give me a lecture about how I was wallowing in self-pity and that I could choose at any time to just decide to stop feeling sorry for myself.  I admit that I sort of shared her view, which made me lack empathy for myself and made it even more difficult to feel better.

Now, I am convinced that depression is absolutely a disease--a disability that people can't see but that is just as serious as a physical malady.  If you have it, go easy on yourself.  You wouldn't tell a person with a broken leg to suck it up and run a marathon, right?  What you are experiencing is real, and you can get through it.  Don't make it harder by berating yourself for being sick!

No comments:

Post a Comment